Friday, January 16, 2009

The eagle has landed.

But I'm still missing my suitcase. Out of the seven we brought, the one with all my clothes in it is of course the one gone AWOL. I won't harp on that, though. Positive thinking. It will show. Until then, I'm wearing my husband's clothes. I've got Ellen DeGeneres's look down pat.

More importantly (?!), our little family is finally installed on the island of Mallorca after the long, hard struggle you probably know about already. We're setting up house in a three-bedroom casa de pueblo in the village of AlarĂ³, population 4869 (make that 4872) - the first municipality on the island to have an electricity network in 1901. So my question is: When will they catch on to the concepts of central heating and insulation? Oh never mind. We're past that now. Our firewood has dried out somewhat and the technicians at Camper were compassionate enough to send O home with a bag of old wooden shoe lasts for us to burn.

I daydreamed in such detail about what our life would be like here but I didn't realize how rustic it would be. You just can't keep Mother Nature out, she's always sticking her foot in the door and prying it open while you try in vain to lock it. Millipedes, spiders, ants and some other curiosities I'll talk about some other time - we all live together at Carrer de Can Manyoles, No 91. As far as I can tell, the most recent census did not include any bedbugs so please come visit at your earliest convenience. Despite the crowd, I could use the company.

More photos to follow as soon as I get an adaptor. The one I need is in my suitcase.

1 comment: