Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Strolling

I'm not particularly adventurous when it comes to walking with Rio in the stroller. Not around here, anyway. The roads surrounding Alaró are tertiary and usually only one lane wide so cars are forced to play chicken with each other around blind corners. One driver will invariably have to lunge ahead or back up into someone's driveway to let the other driver pass and there are no special paths or shoulders for pedestrians or cyclists - most roads have stone walls on either side. I've got the dogs with me when I go out, too, so I often find myself leaping out of the way of motorists and yanking Harpo and Artie with me as cars go roaring down the country roads.

I took a few photos today on my usual route. (I sound so seasoned!) Sadly my camera does not do the scenery justice. In reality, the greens are much greener and the sky much bluer. One of these days I'll get a camera that shows true but until then you'll have to use your imagination a little. Or better yet, come see for yourselves!





We walk North along the base of the Tramuntana mountains toward the two buttes or mesas (Puig d'Alaró and S'Alcadena) that are so iconic in the Raiguer - the district of which Alaró is a part. We have a great view of them from our garden as well and when we first arrived the entire sierra was covered in snow although it didn't last long. The two highest peaks, Puig Major and Massanella are still snow-capped but the only white stuff down here is the almond blossoms and the sheep. I wish you were here to walk next to me (ok, in front or behind) and hear the birds singing and the sheep bells ringing.

I'm a little lonely but it's amazing the shoes a little sunshine can fill.

2 comments:

  1. Loving your blog, Cat! I can't wait to come and visit you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be there too... by then you will be an old pro and an excellent tour guide!

    Jimi

    ReplyDelete